Soft Pink and Brown Halo Eye - Makeup Tutorial

12:58 PM

Today I will be posting a makeup tutorial on how to do a simple halo eye look, featuring one of my favourite eyeshadows - Star Violet by MAC.  This is the first ever tutorial I've ever done, so bear with me if my explanations and photos are still a bit shaky.

"Halo eyes" are an eye look where the outer and inner corners have a darker shadow so that the centre of the eye pops out and creates a glowing feel.  There are multitudes of colour combinations you can do, and they're easy to change up for day or night time.  Below is a photo of the finished look that we will be walking through today.


I don't have a picture for the first step - which is to prep and prime the eyes.  Each time I put on eyeshadow, I always prime my lids first.  Popular products include MACs paint pots, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and the one I used in this look - Urban Decay's Primer Potion.  This step prevents the shadow form creasing or fading and also makes the shadow more prominent.  After priming, I like to go over the entire lid - even almost to my brow bone, with a base colour that is close to your skin tone.  After you primed, the lid gets a bit tacky, which causes the shadow to not blend as easily.  The base colour takes away the tackiness and also evens out any discolouration on your eye lid.  I used MAC Brule, which is a creamy light beige colour.


After prepping and priming the lid, I used a MAC Kid as a transition colour.  I placed it from my fold up to where my eye socket would be and blended the edges.  MAC Kid is a light matte brown, but feel free to use whichever transition colour you like.  We will be using this shadow to blend the other colours as we go along.  I used a medium sized, fluffy blending brush here.


Next we will take a matte medium brown colour - here I used MAC Swiss Chocolate and apply it to the outer and inner thirds of the eye.  Then take a darker matte brown, I used MAC Brown Down and place it on the outer corner, don't extend it as far in as you did with the medium brown shadow.  Make sure after each colour, you blend out the edges to create a seamless look.  You can also take your brush that you used the transition colour or a clean brush to sweep in windshield wiper motions across the lid and top edge to smooth all the colours out.  You can also go back in with the browns to deepen the colour if you blended too much away.


Now take a shimmery plum shadow, such as MAC Star Violet and place it on the enter of the lid.  I used a flat shadow brush and sprayed a bit of MAC Fix+ to apply the shadow.  Using the shadow wet will make the colour pop just a bit more.  Next, I took my finger (you can also use a small fluffy brush) and lightly patted the shadow on the edges so that it gradually blended in to the matte brown shadows.  I once again took my blending brush that still has a bit of Kid on it to blend out the crease area.


You can leave it there or, if you can make it a bit more glowy.  I took L'oreal Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator in Ice and gently tapped some product on top of Star Violet, I then took the pink shade in Physician's Formula Natural Nude Highlighter placed it on top of the liquid highlighter.  I used my finger here to tap on the PF highlighter so that it blends into the edges.  I then took my blending brush and used Kid to blend out the crease again.  If you notice the brown shadows fading a bit from the blending, feel free to go back in with those shadows to add in more depth to the outer/inner corners.


For the bottom lash line, I simply took the medium matte brown shade (MAC Swiss Chocolate) and lined the bottom of my eye.  I tapered it so that it's thicker on the other corner, and gradually thins out as it reaches my inner corner.  Lastly, highlight you brown bone (I just used the PF Highlighter), line your upper lash line, and add your favourite mascara and/or false lashes and you're set to go!


Products Used in Order of Appearance:
Anastasia Dip Brow in Soft Brown (not mentioned, used for eyebrows)
Urban Decay Primer Potion
MAC Eyeshadows in Brule, Kid, Swiss Chocolate, Brown Down, and Star Violet
L'oreal True Match LUMI Liquid Glow Illuminator in Ice
Physician's Formula Natural Nude Highlighter
Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper
Maybelline Define-A-Lash (discontinued)
Ardell False Lashes in 110-Black

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM FEED

Search This Blog

Subscribe