Nails of the Week - Essie's Minimalistic Review and Swatch

3:45 PM

I have been searching high and low for an opaque baby pink that is elegant and classy, and not too bubblegum pop which I think I've finally found with Essie's Minimalistic.

Two coats of Essie Minimalistic nail polish
Colour
Essie's Minimalistic is a beautiful, creamy baby pink that isn't too bright but also not too pale.  I find that it's just on the cusp of venturing into Baby Spice territory if it were a bit more bright or a bit more red/purple, but the polish manages to reel itself back and maintain a professional yet still girly and cute colour.

Opaqueness 
The first coat, like many of Essie's pinks, is rather sheer and streaky, however, on the second coat, it becomes 90% opaque with some areas still showing the nail due to streakiness.  I would recommend three coats if you want complete opaqueness.

Two coats of Essie Minimalistic nail polish
Formula and Finish
I had a bit of trouble with the formula unfortunately - or perhaps it's just my application technique.  The first coat goes on nicely, and the second coat can be hit or miss.  I found that the second coat can glide on to the nail easily - no streaks, no goopiness, and perfectly even or it can be a streaky mess with the polish drying too quickly and going on too thick to fix.  This is definitely a polish where a larger brush would help fix some of these issues.

Two coats of Essie Minimalistic nail polish
Additionally, I had a big problem with air bubbles with this polish - this is the first nail polish from any brand where I've encountered such a big problem with air bubbles.  After drying, the majority of my nails had dozens of minuscule bumps embedded under the polish which drove me crazy.  I redid my nails a couple times to try and get rid of the air bubbles and found that it was important to not shake the bottle, even a tiny bit, before applying.  If you did, you should let the polish sit for at least 10 minutes after shaking.  The one or two nails that dried smoothly had a nice finish but I found could be tad bit more shiny/glossy, but that's mostly just me nitpicking.  However, once I applied a top coat, the bumps went away and became nice, smooth and shiny.

Two coats of Essie's Minimalistic nail polish
Summary
Overall, I absolutely adore the colour - I like it a lot more than Essie's Fiji and it is a good change from when I want to get away from sheer pinks but still want something that can work in a professional environment.  However, the formula and finish for this polish requires a bit of work to get the polish on smoothly, consistently, and opaque.  Since I do like the colour so much, and the air bubbles issue goes away with a top coat, I would likely continue to use this polish and perhaps even repurchase.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM FEED

Search This Blog

Subscribe